Document Type : Research Paper
Department of Energy Engineering. Technical College of Engineering. Duhok Polytechnic University, Duhok, Iraq
Thermal performance parameters for a ground-coupled warehouse cooling system with an underground Thermal Energy Storage (TES) tank are investigated in this study. The system comprises a warehouse, a cooling unit, and an underground TES tank. A MATLAB program was created to evaluate the system's performance on an hourly basis, considering various design parameters and operational conditions. To solve the hourly heat transfer to the surrounding TES tank, the similarity transformation and Duhamel's superposition principle are employed. The results indicate that the volume of the TES tank and the type of earth surrounding it are critical factors affecting the system's performance. Among the tested surrounding materials (granite, limestone, and clay earth types), granite exhibits the highest system performance. The results also reveal that the water temperature in the TES tank reaches a maximum of 25.33 °C in July, significantly below the maximum ambient air temperature of 45.67 °C, resulting in a higher COP of 3.42. This performance is achieved with a TES tank volume of 600 m3, a Carnot efficiency of 40%, and using granite as the earth type. Moreover, the system demonstrates periodic operation starting from the 9th year onwards, continuing for 15 years of operation. These improvements lead to significant energy savings and reduced environmental effects.
- M. A. Rahman et al., “Design of cold storage for fruits and vegetables,” Res. Gate, no. April, pp. 10Rahman, M. A., Buntong, B., Gautam, D. M., Fello, 2017, doi: 10.13140/RG.2.2.14335.82082.
- İ. Atmaca, A. Şenol, and A. Çağlar, “Performance testing and optimization of a split-type air conditioner with evaporatively-cooled condenser,” Eng. Sci. Technol. an Int. J., vol. 32, 2022, doi: 10.1016/j.jestch.2021.09.010.
- R. M. Hannun and A. H. Abdul Razzaq, “Air Pollution Resulted from Coal, Oil and Gas Firing in Thermal Power Plants and Treatment: A Review,” IOP Conf. Ser. Earth Environ. Sci., vol. 1002, no. 1, 2022, doi: 10.1088/1755-1315/1002/1/012008.
- U. Asghar et al., “Review on the progress in emission control technologies for the abatement of CO2, SOx and NOx from fuel combustion,” J. Environ. Chem. Eng., vol. 9, no. 5, p. 106064, 2021, doi: 10.1016/j.jece.2021.106064.
- M. Sahoo and N. Sethi, “Impact of industrialization, urbanization, and financial development on energy consumption: Empirical evidence from India,” J. Public Aff., vol. 20, no. 3, 2020, doi: 10.1002/pa.2089.
- A. N. Menegaki, “Growth and renewable energy in Europe: A random effect model with evidence for neutrality hypothesis,” Energy Econ., vol. 33, no. 2, pp. 257–263, Mar. 2011, doi: 10.1016/j.eneco.2010.10.004.
- P. Moriarty and D. Honnery, “What is the global potential for renewable energy?,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, vol. 16, no. 1. Elsevier Ltd, pp. 244–252, 2012. doi: 10.1016/j.rser.2011.07.151.
- M. Z. Jacobson, “Review of solutions to global warming, air pollution, and energy security,” Energy and Environmental Science, vol. 2, no. 2. pp. 148–173, 2009. doi: 10.1039/b809990c.
- I. Dincer, “Thermal energy storage systems as a key technology in energy conservation,” Int. J. Energy Res., vol. 26, no. 7, pp. 567–588, Jun. 2002, doi: 10.1002/er.805.
- I. Dincer, “On thermal energy storage systems and applications in buildings.”
- M. A. Rosen, N. Pedinelli, and I. Dincer, “ENERGY AND EXERGY ANALYSES OF COLD THERMAL STORAGE SYSTEMS,” 1999.
- X. Pan et al., “Long-term thermal performance analysis of a large-scale water pit thermal energy storage,” J. Energy Storage, vol. 52, no. PB, p. 105001, 2022, doi: 10.1016/j.est.2022.105001.
- J. P. Meyer and P. J. Petit, “A TECHNO-ECONOMIC ANALYTICAL COMPARISON OF THE PERFORMANCE OF AIR-SOURCE AND HORIZONTAL-GROUND-SOURCE AIR-CONDITIONERS IN SOUTH AFRICA,” John Wiley & Sons, 1996.
- O. Zogou and A. Stamatelos, “EFFECT OF CLIMATIC CONDITIONS ON THE DESIGN OPTIMIZATION OF HEAT PUMP SYSTEMS FOR SPACE HEATING AND COOLING Heat pumps Coefficient of performance Solar energy systems and controls Climatic conditions Ground source heat pumps,” 1998.
- C. A. De Swardt and J. P. Meyer, “A performance comparison between an air-source and a ground-source reversible heat pump,” Int. J. Energy Res., vol. 25, no. 10, pp. 899–910, Aug. 2001, doi: 10.1002/er.730.
- A. Ucar and M. Inalli, “A thermo-economical optimization of a domestic solar heating plant with seasonal storage,” Appl. Therm. Eng., vol. 27, no. 2–3, pp. 450–456, Feb. 2007, doi: 10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2006.06.010.
- Y. H. Kuang, K. Sumathy, and R. Z. Wang, “Study on a direct-expansion solar-assisted heat pump water heating system,” Int. J. Energy Res., vol. 27, no. 5, pp. 531–548, Apr. 2003, doi: 10.1002/er.893.
- H. Wang and C. Qi, “Performance study of underground thermal storage in a solar-ground coupled heat pump system for residential buildings,” Energy Build., vol. 40, no. 7, pp. 1278–1286, 2008, doi: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2007.11.009.
- D. Ahmed and O. Ali, “The Effect of the Cooling Water Loop on the Exergy Destruction Components of Split Air Conditioning Systems,” Al-Rafidain Eng. J., vol. 28, no. 1, pp. 239–248, 2023, doi: 10.33899/rengj.2022.135328.1195.
- A. E. Journal, C. C. By, and A. E. Journal, “Design and Thermal Evaluation of Hybrid Split Solar Air Conditioner in Mosul/Iraq,” Al-Rafidain Eng. J., vol. 27, no. 1, pp. 127–138, 2022.
- X. Wang, M. Zheng, W. Zhang, S. Zhang, and T. Yang, “Experimental study of a solar-assisted ground-coupled heat pump system with solar seasonal thermal storage in severe cold areas,” Energy Build., vol. 42, no. 11, pp. 2104–2110, Nov. 2010, doi: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2010.06.022.
- M. E. Kuyumcu, H. Tutumlu, and R. Yumrutaş, “Performance of a swimming pool heating system by utilizing waste energy rejected from an ice rink with an energy storage tank,” Energy Convers. Manag., vol. 121, pp. 349–357, 2016, doi: 10.1016/j.enconman.2016.05.049.
- H. Tutumlu, R. Yumrutaş, and M. Yildirim, “Investigating thermal performance of an ice rink cooling system with an underground thermal storage tank,” Energy Explor. Exploit., vol. 36, no. 2, pp. 314–334, 2018, doi: 10.1177/0144598717723644.
- H. H. Ismaeel and R. Yumrutaş, “Thermal performance of a solar-assisted heat pump drying system with thermal energy storage tank and heat recovery unit,” Int. J. Energy Res., vol. 44, no. 5, pp. 3426–3445, 2020, doi: 10.1002/er.4966.
- H. Hasan Ismaeel and R. Yumrutaş, “Investigation of a solar assisted heat pump wheat drying system with underground thermal energy storage tank,” Sol. Energy, vol. 199, pp. 538–551, Mar. 2020, doi: 10.1016/j.solener.2020.02.022.
- D. G. Y. Kahwaji, “Application of Thermal Energy Storage Systems to Public Worship Buildings,” Al-Rafidain Eng. J., vol. 14, no. 3, 2006.
- J. Jongerden, W. Wolters, Y. Dijkxhoorn, F. Gür, and M. Öztürk, “The politics of agricultural development in Iraq and the Kurdistan Region in Iraq (KRI),” Sustain., vol. 11, no. 21, 2019, doi: 10.3390/su11215874.
- A. V. Novo, J. R. Bayon, D. Castro-Fresno, and J. Rodriguez-Hernandez, “Review of seasonal heat storage in large basins: Water tanks and gravel-water pits,” Appl. Energy, vol. 87, no. 2, pp. 390–397, 2010, doi: 10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.06.033.
- R. Yumrutaş, M. Kunduz, and T. Ayhan, “Investigation of thermal performance of a ground coupled heat pump system with a cylindrical energy storage tank,” Int. J. Energy Res., vol. 27, no. 11, pp. 1051–1066, Sep. 2003, doi: 10.1002/er.932.
- R. Yumrutas¸a and Y. Yumrutas¸a, “Analysis of solar aided heat pump systems with seasonal thermal energy storage in surface tanks,” 2000. [Online]. Available: www.elsevier.com/locate/energy
- R. Yumrutaş, M. Kanoǧlu, A. Bolatturk, and M. Ş. Bedir, “Computational model for a ground coupled space cooling system with an underground energy storage tank,” Energy Build., vol. 37, no. 4, pp. 353–360, 2005, doi: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2004.07.004.
- H. F. Zhang, X. S. Ge, and H. Ye, “Modeling of a space heating and cooling system with seasonal energy storage,” Energy, vol. 32, no. 1, pp. 51–58, 2007, doi: 10.1016/j.energy.2006.02.007.
- R. Yumrutaş and M. Ünsal, “A computational model of a heat pump system with a hemispherical surface tank as the ground heat source,” Energy, vol. 25, no. 4, pp. 371–388, 2000, doi: 10.1016/S0360-5442(99)00073-0.
- M. Inalli, M. Onsal, and V. Tanyildizi, “A COMPUTATIONAL MODEL OF A DOMESTIC SOLAR HEATING SYSTEM WITH UNDERGROUND SPHERICAL THERMAL STORAGE,” 1997.
- V. R. Tarnawski, “Ground heat storage with a double layer heat exchanger,” Int. J. Energy Res., vol. 13, no. 2, pp. 137–148, 1989, doi: 10.1002/er.4440130203.
- R. Yumrutaş, M. Ü.-S. Energy, and U. 2012, “Energy analysis and modeling of a solar assisted house heating system with a heat pump and an underground energy storage tank,” Elsevier, vol. 86, pp. 983–993, 2012.
- S. K. Sari and N. W. Pratami, “Cooling load calculation of cold storage container for vegetables case study C Campus-UISI, Ngipik,” 2018 Int. Conf. Inf. Commun. Technol. ICOIACT 2018, vol. 2018-Janua, pp. 820–826, 2018, doi: 10.1109/ICOIACT.2018.8350726.
- “PHOTOVOLTAIC GEOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION SYSTEM,” 2020. https://re.jrc.ec.europa.eu/pvg_tools/en/
- “Heat Transfer: a Basic Approach. M. N. Ozisik.,” no. May, p. 1985, 1985.