Document Type : Research Paper
Computer Engineering Department, College of Engineering, University of Mosul, Mosul, Iraq
Universities all across the world give academic accreditation for degree programs significant attention. This makes sense given that accreditation not only improves the programs' content and delivery but also enables these institutions to recruit teachers and staff of the highest caliber. The Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) is one reputable organization with the authority to accredit Engineering programs. A rising number of academic institutions are requesting ABET accreditation for their computing programs in an effort to raise the standard of their academic programs and student enrollment. This paper's additional value is that it serves as a road map for institutions and their management as they prepare to begin the process of accrediting their computing (or other) programs. The lack of information on the mechanics of implementation presents a problem because it leads to confusion and resource waste, especially in the early stages. Additionally, there is a dearth of literature accessible describing methodology and the use of effective accreditation strategies for computer programs. In light of this, it is necessary to record the methodology, instructional practices, and tactics used by various institutes as they work towards accreditation.
- Anwar, D. Richards, "A comparison of EC and ABET accreditation criteria," J. Prof. Issues Eng. Educ. Pract., vol. 144, 2018.
- Bachnak, S. Marikunte, A. Shafaye, "Fundamentals of ABET accreditation with the newly approved changes," in Proc. ASEE Annual Conference and Exposition, Tampa, FL, USA, 18 June 2019, pp. 16–19.
- Osman, A. Yahya, M. Kamal, "A benchmark collection for mapping program educational objectives to ABET student outcomes: Accreditation," in Proc. 5th International Symposium on Data Mining Applications, Cham, Germany, 2018, pp. 46–60.
- Cook, P. Mathur, M. Visconti, "Assessment of CAC self-study report," in Proc. 34th Annu. Frontiers Educ. (FIE), vol. 1, Oct. 2004, pp. T3G/12-T3G/17.
- Khan, "A Unified Framework for Systematic Evaluation of ABET Student Outcomes and Program Educational Objectives," Int. J. Mod. Educ. Comput. Sci., vol. 11, pp. 1–6, 2019.
- Ahmad, A. Qahmash, "Implementing Fuzzy AHP and FUCOM to evaluate critical success factors for sustained academic quality assurance and ABET accreditation," PLoS ONE, vol. 15, 2020, e0239140.
- Alhakami, B. Al-Masabi, T. Alsubait, "Data analytics of student learning outcomes using Abet course files," in Proc. Science and Information Conference, London, UK, 16–17 July 2020, pp. 309–325.
- -U.-Z. Dawood, K. A. Buragga, A. R. Khan, N. Zaman, "Rubric based assessment plan implementation for Computer Science program: A practical approach," in Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. Teach., Assessment Learn. Eng. (TALE), Aug. 2013, pp. 551-555.
- Schoepp, M. Danaher, A. A. Kranov, "The computing professional skills assessment: An innovative method for assessing ABET's student outcomes," in Proc. IEEE Global Eng. Educ. Conf. (EDUCON), Apr. 2016, pp. 45-52.
- Hussain, W. Spady, M. Naqash, S. Khan, B. Khawaja, L. Conner, "ABET Accreditation During and After COVID19-Navigating the Digital Age," IEEE Access, vol. 8, pp. 218997–219046, 2020.
- Karimi, R. Manteufel, "Preparation of Documents for ABET Accreditation during the COVID-19 Pandemic," in Proc. ASEE 2021 Gulf-Southwest Annual Conference, Waco, TX, USA, 24–26 March 2021.
- Mohamed, Z. Bitar, A. Abu-Sultaneh, W. Elhaija, "A simplified virtual power system lab for distance learning and ABET accredited education systems," Int. J. Electr. Eng. Educ., 2021.
- Essa, A. Dittrich, S. Dascalu, F. C. Harris, Jr, "ACAT: A web-based software tool to facilitate course assessment for ABET accreditation," in Proc. 7th Int. Conf. Inf. Technol., New Gener., Apr. 2010, pp. 88-93.
- Lam, H. Xie, D. Liu, K. Yung, "Investigating Online Collaborative Learning on Students’ Learning Outcomes in Higher Education," in Proc. 2019 3rd International Conference on Education and E-Learning (ICEEL 2019), Barcelona, Spain, 5–7 November 2019, pp. 13–19.
- Cabezas, "On combining gamification theory and ABET criteria for teaching and learning engineering," in Proc. IEEE Frontiers Educ. Conf. (FIE), Oct. 2015, pp. 1-9.
- D. McKenzie, R. R. Mielke, J. F. Leathrum, "A successful EACABET accredited undergraduate program in modeling and simulation engineering (M&SE)," in Proc. Winter Simul. Conf. (WSC), Dec. 2015, pp. 3538-3547.
- Peridier, "Faculty-directed continuous improvement regimen with intentional ABET/SO 1–7 Scaffolding," in Proc. ASEE Virtual Annual Conference Experience, College Park, MD, USA, 22–26 June 2020.
- Zambrano, "Continuous improvement model to systematize curricular processes in the context of ABET accreditation," in Proc. International Conference on Frontiers in Education: Computer Science and Computer Engineering (FECS), Las Vegas, NV, USA, 29 July–1 August 2019, pp. 88–93.
- Rathy, P. Sivasankar, T. Gnanasambandhan, "Developing a knowledge structure using outcome based education in power electronics engineering," Procedia Comput. Sci., vol. 172, pp. 1026–1032, 2020.
- Lavanya, J. Murthy, S. Kosaraju, "Assessment practices in outcome-based education: Evaluation drives education," in Methodologies and Outcomes of Engineering and Technological Pedagogy, Hershey, PA, USA: IGI Global, 2020, pp. 50–61.
- Manzoor, H. Aziz, M. Jahanzaib, A. Wasim, S. Hussain, "Transformational model for engineering education from content-based to outcome-based education," Int. J. Contin. Eng. Educ. Life-Long Learn., vol. 27, pp. 266, 2017.
- Xu, P. Liu, P. Tang, "Exploration of outcome-based computational thinking education programs for teachers," in Proc. 2nd International Conference on E-Society, E-Education and E-Technology (ICSET 2018), Taipei, Taiwan, 13–15 August 2018, pp. 123–126.
- ABET Self-Study Report, Electrical Engineering Program, Navajo Technical University, available at: [Online].Available: http://www.navajotech.edu/images/academics/bachelorScience/electricalEngineering/docs/2016-2017_Navajo-Technical-University_Self-Study_Electrical-Engineering-6-26-2017_2pm.pdf, 2017.
- ABET Self-Study Report, Computer Engineering Program, University of Florida, available at: [Online]. Available: https://cpe.eng.ufl.edu/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/ABET-2012CpE-Self-Study.pdf, 2012.
- ABET Self-Study Report, Computer Engineering Program, University of Colorado Springs, available at: [Online]. Available: https://assess.uccs.edu/sites/g/files/kjihxj1971/files/inline-files/BSCpE_revSept2011v2.pdf, 2011.
- ABET Self-Study Report, Computer Information Systems Program, Fitchburg State University, available at: [Online]. Available: https://www.fitchburgstate.edu/media/4385, 2019.
- ABET Self-Study Report, Computer Engineering Program, Saint Louis University, available at: [Online]. Available: https://www.slu.edu/provost/educational-program-development-review/assessment-student-learning/program-level/pks/computer-engineering_bs_report_2018.pdf, 2018.
- ABET Self-Study Report, Computer Engineering Program, University Washington, available at: [Online]. Available: https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/www-cse-public/education/ABET/self-study_2019.pdf, 2019.
- ABET Self-Study Report, Computer Engineering Program, Umm Al-Qura University, available at: [Online]. Available: https://drive.uqu.edu.sa/_/cis_ce/files/abet/2018%20SSR%20Computer%20Eng%20UQU.pdf, 2018.
- ABET Self Study Questionnaire: Template for 2023-2024 Review Cycle. [Online]. Available: http://www.abet.org, 2022.